International Students Accommodation House

International Students Accommodation House
It is essential for you to arrange for suitable accommodation for the period of time you will be studying in the UK. The standard of your academic work and your health can suffer if your living conditions are not satisfactory. In many areas of the UK there is a shortage of student accommodation, so you must start making arrangements as soon as you have been accepted on your course. This is particularly important if you are planning to bring your family with you to the UK.

The main types of accommodation provided by institutions are either Halls of residence or flats and houses.
Halls of residence. These are usually large buildings occupied by many students. Residents live in study bedrooms, either alone or sharing with another student. Bathrooms and other facilities are usually shared, but some rooms have their own facilities attached to them (this is called "en suite"). Telephones are normally provided on each floor, but some institutions may provide one in each room. Recently-built halls may also offer internet connection in the rooms. Halls can be single sex (male or female only) or mixed (taking both male and female students). Traditional halls of residence are normally catered, with some meals included in the price. Modern halls of residence are normally self-catering, which means that you buy and prepare your own food in shared kitchens. Catered halls can be a good option in terms of your budget, but the food may be basic and very different from the food at home. Many institutions own flats and houses in the local area and rent these to their students. As in self-catering halls, you buy and prepare your own food. You will share the kitchen and bathroom with the other students. Some institutions also have a small number of self-catering flats for students with families, but there is usually very high demand for these.

In most cases, you must apply for accommodation provided by the institution before you come to the UK. If your are offered you a place on a course, you will usually be asked if you would like your institution either to provide accommodation or to arrange alternative private accommodation for you. Make sure that you follow the college’s application procedures, and in particular, that you meet deadlines for booking accommodation. Whichever type of accommodation you choose, you will probably need to pay a deposit when you move in, as well as one month’s rent in advance. A deposit is a sum of money, usually one month’s rent, which you pay to the landlord or property management agent when you move in. This money will be returned to you when you leave the property, on condition that there has been no damage caused during your stay, beyond what could be considered ‘normal wear and tear’. When you are looking for accommodation, first ask the accommodation or welfare office, or the students’ union at your institution. They may have lists of local accommodation available for rent. They may also have inspected the accommodation to check that it is suitable and they can help if you have any problems.

« Host International Students